Top 5 Best Eczema Cream 2017
The Best Eczema Cream
The Best Eczema Cream overall goes to Puriya Mother of All Creams for Eczema for its easy to use, highly effective and holistic approach make it the perfect option for all your itchy skin problems.
Cetaphil Restoraderm ranks fifth because although it is highly effective, it falls below expectations when it comes to hydrating the skin.Era Organics 10-in-1 Cream ranks as the fourth best eczema cream because it takes a little longer than the rest to bring about positive results.Luveya Eczema & Dermatitis Cream is boosted by its overwhelmingly positive reviews to the third position although its scent and insufficient science-backed claims are still an issue.Second on the list is Aveeno Active Naturals Therapy which has won accolades across the board despite its ineffectiveness on chronic eczema.
There is no condition as frustrating as eczema. Just when you think your baby is about to take its first step, some rash develops on their wrists, neck and ankles causing untold suffering the little one. It’s the same case even for adults. Indeed, only a person who has suffered from eczema can understand just how satisfying it feels to find the best eczema cream that brings all this pain to an end. Unfortunately, because of the sheer number of creams available over-the-counter, it can get quite hard to identify the best one. To make this easier, we reviewed 5 of the best eczema cream brands on the market. Just how effective are they? We delve deeper.
1. Puriya Mother of All Creams for Eczema
This cream lays claim to the title “Mother of All Creams” and that speaks volumes about its standing on the list of the best eczema cream brands of today. A family-owned US company with history of producing natural products is the brains behind Puriya. Other products on their line include balms, antifungal creams, tea tree oil for scalp therapy among other topical treatments. What makes Puriya “Mother of All Creams” stand out is its rich list of ingredients. Accordingly, it contains the likes of shea butter, jojoba oil, avocado oil, safflower oil, tangerine, peppermint, chamomile, lavender and tangerine among others.
The science behind it is that it enhances cell growth by boosting mitochondria alongside increasing the supply of anti-inflammatory nutrients. In addition, the product is packed with retinol which does a pretty good job of sloughing away dead surface skin cells. This of course encourages development of new collagen thereby keeping the skin revitalised.
This product is good for a reason. Despite its above-average price tag, it has managed to fetch 82% positive reviews on Amazon.
- Easy to apply, with a non-greasy feel
- Has strong antibacterial properties that protect your skin from toxins that could exacerbate skin conditions
- Apart from Eczema, this can be used to treat psoriasis, dermatitis, shingles, rosacea as well as rashes
- Has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the pain and irritation associated with eczema
- Can be used by kids as well as adults
- Is scented – and therefore if you are looking for an unscented product, this may not be the best pick.
2. Aveeno Eczema Active Naturals Therapy
There’s no doubt about it – Aveeno is one of the best eczema cream products out there in the world today. That notwithstanding, it comes at a competitive price tag which is almost 50% cheaper than the next big brand. But what is the secret behind it? The gentle product is made by leading dermatologists with the sole goal of relieving irritated skin by moisturizing the skin and restoring the natural barrier. Its formula is further enriched by the presence of ceramide, which is an essential lipid that is needed by the skin as part of its protective mechanism. Just like the Luveya cream, this one boasts of colloidal oatmeal as its main active ingredient. The secret behind oatmeal is that it has special abilities to absorb moisture and relieve irritated skin. It has been used since time immemorial for this sole purposes.
The cream is packaged in a nice tube for easy dispensing. Moreover, just a pint of it is enough to cover a significant part of your skin. The product is non-sticky and it glides easily against the skin surface. Although it takes a few days for its results to show, there’s no doubt – its ability to restore the skin is certainly beyond reproach.
The size of the tube ensures you get just enough quantity to last you for a few months. Given it’s reasonable pricing, Aveeno is seen by many not just as the best eczema cream but also as a product that offers unmatchable value for money.
- Relieves itchy, irritated, dry skin due to Eczema in a matter of days
- Contains colloidal oatmeal that has been recommended by dermatologists for over 60 years
- Fragrance-free and steroid-free
- Accredited by the National Eczema Association
- Easy to apply on the skin – in fact, it is so gentle you won’t notice it’s on your skin once you apply it
- Tough on eczema but smooth and gentle on your skin
- May not effectively deal with chronic cases of eczema. It’s recommended for moderate symptoms of eczema.
3. Luveya Eczema & Dermatitis Cream for Dry, Itchy Skin
The reason this cream takes top honours in the best eczema cream hall of fame is purely because of its encouraging user feedback. 89% of those who have bought it think it’s out of this world – and that is a good thing. However, the packaging looks a bit archaic and it’s easy to be deceived that this product compromises on quality. Its list of ingredients is quite inspiring. It features the likes of coconut oil (avoid it if you have nut allergy), colloidal oatmeal, organic plant sulphur, purified water, Canadian Willow Complex, Tamanu Oil, Sunflower Oil, Jojoba Oil, Chamomile Extract and Glycerine among others. This medicated formula as such promises to do just one thing – to protect the skin and help relieve minor irritation and itching.
- This cream is water-based and therefore does not leave any residual, greasy feel
- Its main active ingredient, Colloidal Oatmeal, has been recognized by the FDA for its ability to bring quick relief to the skin
- Even better, the cream contains Tamanu Oil, which plays a big role in removal of skin scars
- Can be used by people of all ages, including kids of 4 months and above
- Thanks to its organic ingredients it does not cause irritation which means you can even apply it around your eyelids
- It has a scent and therefore if scents are not your thing then it might turn you off.
4. Era Organics 10-in-1 Cream for Restoring Dry and Sensitive Skin
Era Organics is not just the best eczema cream because of empty hype. If you look at it closely, you will realize it is made by a family owned company that operates from California, USA. Their website claims that they source for their ingredients in far-flung areas like Hawaii and New Zealand. In brief, this product contains organic products like aloe barbadensis gel, coconut oil, cocoa seed butter, shea butter, vegetable derived glycerine, blue algae, European olive oil and oat amino protein among others.
It’s packaging says it all. Protected in a white, plastic container with a firm cap, this simple and minimalistic packaging gives a hint of luxe and cuteness. The cream itself has a faint scent of coconut with a distant hint of almond. You don’t need to worry at all either because the scent is so faint and it dissipates quickly leaving behind a refreshing and uplifting feel.
- Can be used for any skin condition and any skin type
- Offers immediate and long-term relief from itchiness and dryness
- Easy to apply as it basically glides on the skin
- Has attracted overwhelmingly positive reviews as the best eczema cream among 80% of its past and current users
- Is not tacky of sticky
- It takes time to work and you can’t tell immediately whether it works or not.
5. Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Body Moisturizing Cream
Cetaphil has been in the business of making skincare creams since 1947, which perhaps gives them an edge in understand sensitive problems like eczema. One of their very best cream for eczema supplies is the Cetaphile Soothing Relief Moisturizer. Packaged in a 10-fluid ounce bottle, the clear fluid is claimed to contain advanced Filaggrin technology. But what is Filaggrin technology anyway? This is basically a combination of Arginine and Pyrrolidone Carboxylic Acid (PCA). The two work symbiotically to keep your skin soft and moisturized. And thanks to Cetaphil’s patented Ceramide technology, you also get a decent supply of three essential fats. Pantenol and allantion help soothe itchy skin. Niacinamide helps lock moisture to keep it soft and smooth.
Another plus with this Eczema cream is that it has been studied by dermatologists and proven to be non-comedogenic. Besides that, the hypoallergenic product is free from parabens, allergens, nut oils and fragrances.
Thanks to its gentleness, this cream is suitable for people of all ages. You can apply it on your babies from as young as 3 months. And besides eczema, it is often recommended for dealing with atopic dermatitis and chronic dryness of the skin.
On a scale of 10 this product scores 7. It is well priced, nicely packaged with an easy to dispense cap and well presented. Its patented technology gives it an edge at repairing the skin barrier and generally, it’s methodology is clinically proven. However, it may not provide sufficient hydration if not used correctly. As such it is recommended to use it immediately after washing – and fortunately Cetaphil also supply some nice body wash products as well.
- Typically works within an hour after application
- Ideal for everyday use
- Free of harsh chemicals and fragrances
- Ideal for itchy and acutely dehydrated skin
- Cleans and restores the skin gently
- Although it is quite effective at nourishing the skin, it may not completely stump out the problem. It works best at bringing temporary relief.
- It could have been a little more hydrating